Search This Blog

Monday 10 October 2011

YOU CAN DO BETTER


I had to force myself into Tracy's room after having knocked for several times without a response.To my utmost surprise,she was so much awake,sitting on her bed and moping at the ceiling.I came closer and feel her temperature.It was normal.She looked at me feeling embarrassed.
"Are you alright,Tracy?"
"Am okay.Why do you ask?"
"You scared the hell out of me"
"How?"
"Do you know how many times I knocked at that door before I let myself in?"
She gasped in surprised."Am so sorry dear.I didn't even know you knocked"
I sat by her side."Now tell me.What are you thinking this time around?"
She sighed."I have a lot on my head"
"Like?I can help you with the loads"
She grinned. “May be you can”
“So, open up to me”
“I feel so pity for my self. I am good for nothing”
“Hie!Hie! Tracy, why are you sounding like this? Don’t be hard to yourself”
“Been thinking of what you told me last time. I have not been able to come up with anything”
“Is that it?”
“Not only that.I……”
“Wait Tracy” I said cutting in. “ Before you continue, I’d like you to make a positive statement about yourself”
“I don’t understand”
“People who have made it today have never cursed themselves the way you did some moments ago. They have always been positive and optimistic in everything they pursue.That is the first step toward greatness. You have to believe in yourself. A negative remark about yourself  is often a direct prayer to the devil. The devil capitalizes on them.So…”
I looked questioningly at her.
“What?”
“Am waiting….”
“Ok.Am good for something”
I smiled. “That’s my babe.Everyone has some thing they are good in.So tell me the rest”
“That Phoneix gala was a kind of an eye opener for me. I have not been able to focus after that. It was a good thing that Adesuwa Onyenokwe, the publisher and Kemi Ogunleye, the editor, decided to celebrate Nigerian women as they celebrate fours years of  TW Magazine" She nodded." It was so glamorous. But I felt so empty after that”
“Why would you?”
“Simply because I can’t picture myself being like them and I want to be like them. I want to be celebrated!”
“There she goes again. Those women you saw that day have always maintained a positive line of thinking; they have always been strong willed and resolute in their decisions”
“What are you saying, Venn? What on earth will I ever do to be the match of Grace Alele Williams, Matriarchs like Joke Silva, who I must say, exudes grace and amiable Genevive Nnaji. Venn, I think they were born to excel”
“How wrong you are Tracy. No one is born a genius. At birth, the brain is like a clean slate. Nothing is written on it. It gets filled with time. These women are just like me and you. The only thing that made them outstanding in the society is their unwavering quest for knowledge, ambition and zeal, will, determination for success, focus, confidence and hard work. If you arm yourself with all these, you can even do better”
“It’s so hard to believe. You mean I can match these women and can even overtake them?”
“Yes Tracy. Find your purpose and start something today. Let it be within your purpose. It is very important. Pursue that which makes you happy. Have a positive frame of mind. Aim at the top. Believe in yourself. Work extra hard. You will definitely do better than them”
Tracy nodded in agreement.
 Yea, we can do better than them if we  you chose to.Its all about decision making.

No comments:

Post a Comment