Search This Blog

Friday 7 October 2011

WHAT IS YOUR LEGACY?

I was working on my official seat as a Secretary this morning while sipping a cup of coffee to cool off stress. My colleague and flatmate, Tracy barged into my office with a newspaper which she threw at me. Embarrassed, I looked from her mean face to the newspaper. I disregarded her, pushing the paper aside and continued with my work. She felt insulted and carried my cup of coffee to attract my attention. I was amused.

"Venn this is not a laughing matter at all. I hate it when you treat me like a piece of shit.Why would you
  snob me like that?"
I smiled."I am so sorry sweetheart. I never meant to hurt you. I was just strategy zing  on how to handle you and your delicate nature with the sad news you are obviously going to break''
She smiled, “Am not in the mood, please"
"At least I have made you smile. So, what’s eating you up?"
"Just go to page 20 of that paper. The news is there"
"What news? What happened?" I scanned through the pages and got to page twenty and saw this report,"BBM and other social networking platforms grieves  over the death of technology pioneer, Apple Inc co-founder, Steve Jobs" I shook my head, “I have read the news on internet yesterday. It’s so sad to lose such an inspiring innovator"
"I read the news and felt so devastated. What a genius?”
“ I felt so but when I remember the massive impact which this man has made on this generation, I can't help it but laugh and thanked God for someone like him. Even though he died, he still lives.”
Tracy stared at me with confusion written all over her countenance.
“Hello! The man is dead and gone”
“Yes he is dead but not gone”
“How do you mean?”
“The name, Steve Job will always continue to ring a bell from generation to generation. because he left a very big legacy before departing. Just like, GTBank co-founder Tayo Aderinokun who passed away a few months ago, Christy Essien-Igbokwe who was just 50 years old at the time of her passing and young Nigerian star, Da Grin last year,and many others. Their deaths were untimely but their positive impact and legacy - truly indelible. They can never be erased. So what is your legacy, Tracy?”
Tracy nodded in agreement. “What is my legacy? I love the question. No one has ever asked me that question before. It’s kind of propelling. Thank you for that. I never thought of that before. I really wish to be remembered for one thing or the other I have done after I have gone.
I stared at her.
“You know what Venn; I owe you for this insight. Let me go back to my table and ponder over this” She collected her paper.” I will have some good news for you later”
She left and I carried my coffee, sipped and thought out loud. “No one was born a genius
 after-all”

No comments:

Post a Comment